By Ray Cachart with an historical account by David R Perry and additional contributions by Tamlin Barton, David Bowler, George Haggarty, Derek Hall, Robin Murdoch, Catherine Smith and Joan A Walsh
The fifteenth-century Moy Castle tower-house on Mull was altered in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, but was abandoned as a domestic residence in 1752. Conservation works between 2006 and 2012, showed the alterations to have been additional turrets, caphouses and a garderobe. The garret entrance was relocated and the second floor chamber was converted into a kitchen. The roof slates form an important early assemblage and were shown to originate from the Slate Islands (Easdale).
Key words: Tower house, caphouse, Mull, Easdale slate, Flow Blue potteryDownload (PDF, 3,000KB)